They make electric guitars to be played with an amp. However, does that mean there is no hope of it being played without one? Amplifiers pave the way toward a great-sounding electric guitar. So, can you play an electric guitar without an amp?
An amp is not required when playing the electric guitar. Amps are optional for personal use. However, during live performances or recordings, an amp is necessary. If an amp isn’t available, electric guitar sounds can be produced through alternative equipment, such as a software-based amplifier.
Given amps are so expensive. There are some creative ways around this issue. Below, we will give you more information on what you need to know about electric guitars, amps, and apps that try to replace them.
When is an Amp Not Required To Play The Guitar?
An amp isn’t required for personal use. An amp is only needed to make the music you are playing louder. You can hear the music you are playing when you play an electric guitar without an amp. It is much quieter, but the metal strings will make enough noise to help you find the right chord.
The one problem: you won’t get that sweet electric sound. You won’t get some of the deep music you can expect from acoustic guitars. Instead, it will be pretty weak and not impressive.
When is an Amp Required To Play The Guitar?
Amps are required during any situation that requires noise or specific sounds. Typically, this is in two situations: live music and recording studios.
A Live Performance Without an Amp
Imagine trying to play sick riffs on your electric guitar without an amp. Short answer: it isn’t happening. In this situation, it won’t take long before you get booed off the stage.
You can even get an amplifier for some acoustic guitars. Output jacks plugged into acoustic systems or microphones close enough can catch them. But, electric guitar players can’t position a mic close enough, because the solid body of electric guitars won’t cause the strings to ring loud enough to be picked up by a microphone.
Electric guitars are also used in bands with drums, a bass guitar, and a keyboard. If these instruments have amplifiers, you need an amplifier as well. Anything else will end up laughed off the stage.
Amps in Recording Studios
When recording music, amps give you a perspective on what your guitar sounds like through an amplifier. Without the amp, you might not find an audio imperfection.
While in recording studios, an amp is necessary because it allows the music to be heard and easily modified during the editing process. Amps allow you, the studio manager, and the recording equipment to hear the full sound that the electric guitar can produce.
It will help ease the editing process and minimize the need for sound editing to improve your performance. It will also make giving audiences what they want during live and recorded performances easier.
The “amps” in recording studios are likelier to be studio monitors. These are specialized music-listening devices that don’t add any optional effects.
You can also expect a guitar with headphones, as the close-and-personal relationship of headphones lets you hear audio details. Guitar headphones need to run through some sort of audio system in most cases. We will revisit this later.
Why Should I Not Play With An Amp?
- Amplifiers are loud. Although you can adjust the volume, that sound, and vibrations can still radiate and disturb those around you (family, neighbors, etc.).
- You don’t have the money. Amps are expensive and can range from $100 to $300 for one of good quality.
- Your practice space isn’t ideal. Electric guitar requires practice, and you can play that instrument in the early morning and late at night. Because of this, it is not the best decision to have that sound blaring out.
- They are big. Many amps are too big to fit in a space. Of course, you can check out some of the best mini guitar amps to solve this problem.
Three Ways To Play an Electric Guitar as an Amp
1. Use a Regular Speaker System (or PA System)
Amplifiers amplify sound, much like speakers. This means you can use any normal amplification system to do it. But, if you want that sound system to make cool sounds, you’ll need a direct input box or preamp.
This is a great option for those who want to save money on purchasing an amp when they already have a suitable sound system. The only downside to this is that any old sound system won’t have the features of a true amp.
- 🍀Premium 360° Stereo Sound TV Sound Bar: Unleash powerful 50W dynamic audio, 4 drivers for crystal-clear sound reproduction, experience the thrill of cinema at home. Feel the action, drama, and suspense as if you’re right there.
- 🍀Unmatched DSP Technology: Indulge in a captivating audio-visual journey with our top-notch DSP technology. Experience every note and beat with our advanced sound technology, meticulously designed to replicate each sound accurately, ensuring minimal distortion.
- 🍀lnnovative Design Sound Bar: Soundbar boasts aninnovative detachable design that that can be easily transformed into two compact tower speakers.offering you the flexibility to your audio setup.Place the two tower speakers on either side ofyour TV to create a dynamic and immersive surround soundeffect that puts you right in the middle of the action.
- 🍀4 Ways to Connect : Our soundbar supports an extensive array of connections including Optical, hdmi-ARC, AUX, and the latest Bluetooth 5.0, compatibility with nearly all devices.We provide illustrated instructions, videos, and all the necessary mounting accessories to make the setup process a breeze.
- 🍀Responsive Customer Support: Our team is committed to resolving any issues within 48 hours, offer 36 months warranty and support 60 days unconditional replacement. ensuring you enjoy a hassle-free audio experience. The package comes complete with the TV Soundbar, a user-friendly Remote Controller, a reliable Power Adapter, and versatile hdmi/Optical/3.5mm audio cables for seamless connectivity.(Tips: This Version not include the rca cable)
- Dolby Atmos Creates the Most Three-dimensional Soundscape: ULTIMEA Dolby Atmos soundbar provides a more immersive 3D sound experience than Dolby Digital and Dolby Audio. This surround sound system allows sound to move freely around the listener in a 3D space and creates an even greater sense of direction, space, and depth, surrounding you in the story. With ULTIMEA home audio sound bars, you can gain exactly the same experience as you watch movie in the cinema.
- True 5.1 Immersive Surround Sound System For TV: TV sound bar with 3 main sound channels for a crystal-clear dialogue, builds even further on the capabilities of surround sound by adding 2 surround speakers and 1 wireless subwoofer. ULTIMEA sound bars for TV with subwoofer apply Dolby Atmos technology which exactly pinpoints sound source, and makes you experience a breathtaking 3D surround sound that envelops you from all angles!
- Two Adjustable Surround Speakers For True Surround Sound: This 5.1 soundbar for tv has two surround speakers with 20 feet extended cable, which allows you to position them based on your preferences and room layout while enjoying a more stable surround sound than wireless. Adjustable surround speakers and subwoofer of this sound bars for tv provides a more personalized and immersive sound experience, and you can change them with one click on the remote controller.
- Dolby Atmos Advanced Decoding Technology: Compatible with Blu-ray, streaming (Netflix, Prime Video) on TVs, set-top boxes. This Dolby Atmos soundbar supports full decoding/playback if content is Dolby Atmos-enabled. With ULTIMEA exclusive BassMX technology boosting low frequency, ULTIMEA soundbar for tv with subwoofer enables adjustable bass for a rumble, pulse-pounding Bass.
- The Highest-level Audio Transmission: HDMI-eARC provides higher bandwidth and advanced audio transmission capabilities, supporting high-resolution, Dolby Atmos multi-channel audio effects. Enjoy lossless sound quality for superior immersive experience with a include HDMI Cable.(Poseidon D60 doesn’t support HDMI-eARC decoding DTS)
- 𝐏𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐁𝐥𝐮𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐫𝐬- Pair the bookshelf speakers with your smartphone, tablet, Mac, or PC to play music wirelessly, no need to deal with messy wires.
- 𝐀𝐝𝐝 𝐚 𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐰𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐫𝐬 – The active bookshelf speakers are built with 0.5 inch silk dome tweeter and 4 inch woofer, bringing you a surround home theater listening experience with a SUB OUT jack which supports connecting to any powered sub woofers you have at hand.
- 𝐌𝐮𝐥𝐭𝐢𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐖𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐧𝐩𝐮𝐭𝐬- The monitor speakers are built with Optical and coaxial inputs support 24 bit 192k digital audio and ensure a lossless connection to TVs,and Convenient connect to any device that has a RCA output enables you to connect to the TV via optical, and to the turntable via rca at the same time, saving you the cost of another stereo speaker. Note:Please switch the turntable to LINE OUT instead of PHONO OUT when setting up with the speakers with a turntable
- 𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐞 & 𝐁𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐥 – The active bookshelf speakers (Dimension : 150*170*240mm) comes with a remote control allowing you to adjust the volume and toggle inputs at your fingertips: mute/unmute, switch to OPT/COAX mode, line-in, and Bluetooth modes. Remote is replaceable lifetime. You can also control the speakers via buttons on top of it. NOTE: Remote is NOT compatible with TV remotes or universal remotes.
- 𝟑 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐲 – Guaranteed high quality and reliability with hassle-free parts and labor warranty for three years in USA.Please contact us via after sale email and we will deal with it within 12 hours.
2. Use a Software Amp for your Mobile Device
Another way to play your electric guitar without an amp is to use an amp simulator. An amp simulator is a computer-based program that simulates an amp. It can change the sound of your guitar, but you still need a way to connect it.
To connect it to your mobile device, you need an adaptor that connects your headphone jack to your phone to your guitar. You can also get a Bluetooth adapter that connects your electric guitar to your phone.
- EASY TO INSTALL: It is easy to install and can be used for a long time, a useful accessory for electric bass and guitar players.
- APPLICATION: The converter is compatible with the smart phone or tablet which have the same type of earphone jack for iPhone/for iPad, and suitable for iOS and for Android system.
- GUITAR BASS TO PHONE CONVERTER: Electric guitar and bass to smart phone converter helps to achieve the perfect sound effects of your instrument, applies to the app of effects, turners and recording software in the smart phone.
- COMPACT SIZE: It is portable with light weight and compact size, easy for carry and storage, practical and convenient to use.
- GUARANTEE: If you are not satisfied with our product received, you can apply for unconditional return and refund in 180 days. In terms of any problem of this product, you can send emails to us at any time.
- Guitar converter link devices: strict quality inspection system to ensure that you get high- quality products.
- Guitar effector converter: a 3. 5 mm stereo headphone jack. connect the 3. 5 mm input plug to your smartphone.
- Phone software effector: after inserting the 3.5mm interface connector into the earphone input of the smart device, the device can be started.
- Effector converter: this effect is simple and practical, allowing you to have a pleasant mood while enjoying music.
- Guitar to phone jack adapter: made of abs material, and , not easy to damage, and can serve you for a time.
- PLUG AND PLAY SIMPLICITY ON EVERY DEVICE: Adjustable gain dial, which works with its built-in 1/8″” TRRS output connector to give you a true plug-and-play experience with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac.
- CONNECT TO AMPLIFIER WITHOUT ADDITIONAL ACCESSORIES: iRig 2’s new 1/4” output jack lets you use iRig 2 with an amplifier as a part of your live rig without the use of an adaptor.
- CONNECT TO ANY APPLE DEVICE: Compatible with new generation Apple iPhone through the lightning to headphone adaptor — Easily record high-quality audio right to your mobile device. Use the built-in 1/8″ headphone output or 1/4″ amplifier output to listen to audio with headphones or amplifier.
- ROCK WITH iRig 2: Paired with AmpliTube CS (free) for iOS, IK’s powerful guitar and bass multi-effects processor. AmpliTube CS provides you with a vast library of meticulously modeled virtual stompbox effects, amplifiers.
- EVEN BETTER: iRig 2 features a switch that lets you select between a processed signal and a clean “thru” input signal. This means you can also use your mobile device as a tuner, recorder or other tool while preserving the purity of a 100% analog signal path.
3. Use a Computer Audio interface
An audio interface is the third way to transform almost anything into an amp. An interface converts your audio to digital data. You can edit your audio by using a digital audio workstation (DAW).
Interfaces have the added advantage of allowing you to edit aspects of your sound. Some have bass and treble settings, while others have input and output settings to control distortion and sound. But since they are used to produce music, they can be just as expensive as amplifiers.
- 6.35mm 1/4 inch Electric Guitar Plug to USB Interface Male Converter Cable is designed to transmit the guitar signal into the computer; Allows you to record the beautiful tunes of your guitar, transfer the sound signal into the computer, and edit these music notes to meet your needs
- Compatible with USB 2.0, Fit for almost all kinds of computers with USB port, also compatible with Windows 98SE / 2000 / XP / VISTA / Win7/Win 8 / Win 10, Mac OSX. (But not for PS2 / PS3 / PS4 / WII / Xbox rocksmith)
- Easily connect guitar straight into the computer USB for recording, built-in high-quality 16BIT / 44.1KHZ digital-analog
- transmitted,Play Connection to Your Mac or PC for Recording,full-frequency response, it isPerfect for stage and studio use.
- Precision machining and careful manual assembly of the cable, the cotton woven mesh is strong and wear-resistant and not afraid of tearing. The gold-plated plug has good corrosion resistance and aesthetics.
- USB Audio interface: high-performance converters enable allowing you to record, mix and play back audio in studio quality at up to 24-bit/ 192kHz, give your recordings clarity and distinction.
- Guitar audio interface: support plug a guitar or bass its high headroom will let you record without distortion or clipping. Both of inputs have Gain Halo meters, which makes it easy to set input levels.
- XLR audio interface with phantom power Mic preamplifier inputs are on the front panel: Input 1 uses a standard 3-pin XLR socket,and can work with most types of microphones; you will need a male XLR connector on the end of your mic cable.
- Mic audio interface Both of inputs have Gain Halo meters, which makes it easy to set input levels. And also has balanced outputs, which means when you connect them to monitors or an amplifier with balanced inputs, your audio will be protected from any hum or interference.
- Computer recording audio interfaces supports free warranty. If you have any questions, please contact the seller’s customer service.
Three Ways To Keep Your Amp Quiet
- Use headphones: Many amps come with headphone slots, and some have Bluetooth capabilities. Check your amp to see your options, and go out to get yourself some headphones.
- Control the volume: Reduce it to see if it meets your neighbor’s needs. It might not work, but it’s worth a try!
- Soundproof your room using acoustic foam: Soundproofing foam is expensive but great if you want to experience your sound. It might not limit the noise completely, but it will help.
You can also check with your neighbors to ask if there’s a time to play that won’t disturb them. Some people will be inflexible when you ask this.
That would be best if you can practice elsewhere (like a sound studio). But, most people don’t have access to a studio.
Here’s some more tips:
What Volume Levels Can an Amp Do?
The volume levels of an electric guitar amp will depend on the quality of the amp, such as brand, model, wattage, and type (solid state and valve or low- and high-powered). The noise level will also change depending on the crowd and room size if you are performing live.
Solid-state amps are the most common type of amp, followed by valve amps. Low- and high-powered amps are used equally.
Here are some amp wattage recommendations for different scenarios.
- For practice only: 10W (valve) or 20W (solid state)
- Live performances without a drummer with less than 100 people: 20W (valve) or 40W (solid-state)
- Smaller performances with a drummer: 100W (valve)
- Performances for 100-1000 people: 200W (solid-state)
- Any performances for over 1,000 people: 100W (valve) or 200W (solid-state) with a microphone
- Recording purposes: 10-20W (valve) or 20-40W (solid-state).
You should purchase an amp that fits your needs and what you will use it for most consistently.
There are a variety of reasons a person would want to play their electric guitar without an amp. It could be due to expense, a better way to practice, or an amp’s noise.
Electric guitars are great to play and much loved, but they are loud, and with this loudness comes complaints. It is important to prepare before buying the guitar. Consider practice times, purchase headphones, even go as far as soundproofing a room.
You can play electric guitars with and without an amp and although the sound may differ, it is important to play so you will enjoy.