People of all ages love listening to music and experiencing it in person. Children can enjoy concerts and see their favorite artists on stage with their friends. However, there are some essential things to consider when preparing a child to go to a show. One of these leads us to our question: do children need ear protection at concerts?
Ear protection is strongly recommended for children at concerts because they are prone to hearing loss. Children are still developing their hearing and are more sensitive to noise than adults. Ear protection can help children enjoy concerts without feeling overwhelmed.
Ear protection is an excellent idea for children attending concerts, so parents must know what is necessary. They should consider what doctors recommend for their children, what types of ear protection are available, how to convince a child to wear ear protection, and some recommendations based on price and reviews.
What Doctors Recommend
The National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders recommends some guidelines for children. One of their most significant suggestions is to remember that hearing loss happens over time. They suggest that parents try to teach their children about the potential dangers of hearing loss and to have hearing protection available.
Even if hearing loss isn’t a concern, there are additional reasons why doctors might recommend ear protection. One of the biggest ones is that noise can be overly stimulating for a child.
Loud noise can cause some children to feel anxious and overwhelmed. When a child is overstimulated, they often struggle to regulate their emotions and express pain. Sensory overload is not a fun experience for a child or a guardian, so doctors will recommend ear protection when sensory overload is a possibility.
Doctors recommend picking the type of ear protection a specific child likes to promote consistent use.
What Types of Ear Protection are Available for Children
Luckily, many ear protection options are available for children with differing levels of noise reduction. Ear protection comes in two basic categories: earplugs and earmuffs. Within these two categories, there are many more styles and options.
Earplugs are the most common type of ear protection. This type of ear protection involves having something physically inside the ear canal. There are a variety of styles of earplugs that vary from basic to high-end.
You can find basic earplugs in most grocery stores, drug stores, and even hardware stores. Many stores sell foam earplugs meant to shape the user’s ear. Foam earplugs expand to fill the ear canal. Other stores offer non-foam earplugs shaped to fit an ear canal.
You might also get a unique kind of earplug: a canal plug. These are not common but are incredibly helpful for active children. They have earplugs attached to a headband that keeps the earplugs in the ear canal.
Earmuffs are ear protection types with two cup-like muffs attached to a headband. They come in many different sizes and are the easiest ear protection type. Muffs are one of the most comfortable options as well.
This type of ear protection can be expensive due to its materials and size. They come in many colors and materials, so children are often drawn to them because they are fun!
How to Convince a Child to Wear Ear Protection
A parent can convince a child to wear ear protection in various ways. The best option is to explain in an age-appropriate manner why ear protection is essential. Children appreciate when they get a legitimate reason for being asked to do something.
Another reason is to allow them to choose which type of ear protection they get. Children are more likely to wear something that they choose to wear. Children also are more likely to use ear protection if their parents use it, and for the full duration of a concert.
There are a variety of ear protection options that a parent can choose for their child. Some are more cost-effective, and others are well-known for being top-of-the-line ear protection.
Best Budget Picks
Ear protection can be expensive, and children are not known for being the best at keeping track of items. Thus, it is understandable that parents would not want to buy a $30 headset for their child who might lose it, break it, or only use it once.
- ✅ One Size Fits All – Adjustable headband and 360° rotatable ear cups with comfortable foam make it suitable to kids from 1 year old to 16 years old; it will even fit adults with small sizes of head
- ✅ Efficient Noise Reduction – ProCase kids hearing protection earmuffs block out noise to prevent hearing damage; perfect for monster jam, sports events, shooting gun range, airplane flights, concerts, fireworks, and etc.; a great gift to children who have sensory problem or autism
- ✅ Authorized Certification – Constructed by solid ABS-shell and thickened noise-dampening foam, the ear muffs offer a NRR 25dB (SNR 29dB) rating and block out noise by a great amount, ANSI S3.19 (US) & CE EN352-1(EU) certified
- ✅ Ultra Soft & Comfortable – Soft PU leather padded headband reduces the pressure on your kid’s head for superior comfort while soft ear cushions ensure comfortable wearing and snug fit
- ✅ Lightweight & Compact – Dimension: 7.2 x 4.9 x 3.5 inches, weight: 6.34oz/180g. Compact size and lightweight design makes it easy to carry around; easily fits in a backpack or carry-on bag for convenient take-anywhere hearing protection
- [Designed for Various Ages] The “Lollipop” noise cancelling headphones earmuffs are designed to fit children aged 3 to 12 years old. With vibrant and flamboyant colors that will captivate your kids’ attention, they’ll love wearing these fun and stylish earmuffs. The meticulous craftsmanship ensures that the high visibility colors remain bright and fade-resistant over time, keeping your children safe and noticeable in any environment and weather condition
- [Supreme Comfort & Durability] Crafted with premium, skin-friendly materials, our 360° rotatable cups and ultra-soft ear cushions fully encompass your child’s ears, providing long-lasting comfort. The fully padded headband offers maximum comfort, stability, and durability, reinforcing internal construction and ensuring a safe and cozy fit for kids’ heads
- [Sound Awareness & Certified Safety Protection] Ensure your child’s safety in loud environments with our kids’ earmuffs. Compliant with ANSI S3.19-1974 and CE EN 352-1 standards, they provide an NRR of 25dB, effectively reducing harmful noise without blocking out all sounds. This design allows your child to retain the ability to hear crucial sounds in noisy situations, minimizing potential safety hazards. Ideal for monster truck shows, sports events, autism, airplane rides, concerts, and more
- [Compact & Travel-Friendly] Say goodbye to meltdowns. The adjustable headband and 360° rotatable cups allow you to fold the earmuffs into a compact size, fitting even the smallest spaces. A travel drawstring bag is included for your convenience
- [PROHEAR Support] For over 15 years, our focus has been solely on hearing protection and optimization. We stand by the quality of our products, guaranteeing effective and reliable protection for your child’s sensitive ears. If you encounter any issues, please feel free to contact us. Our support team is available 24/7 to provide assistance
- Concept:Hearing protectors don’t have to be “Ugly”, they could be cute and cool. Fit toddlers to young teens.Moreover,backed by ZOHAN 1-YEAR-WARRANTY.If you have any questions,just feel free to contact us
- Upgraded Products:Our kids earmuffs DON’T have any metal parts which might potentially hurt your children.Besides,rather than ear plugs,these muffs are truly over-ear design which provides more comfort,also no swallow hazards for your kids
- Effective Hearing Protection:Design for children who have sensory issues and need extra hearing protection. And these are perfect for air shows,monster jam, concerts, fireworks, travel, sports events, etc
- Cautions: ZOHAN EM030 hearing protection muffs could not block all/most noise. But they do reduce noise which might be harmful to your kids. The NRR(Noise Reduction Rating) is 22dB. For Example, The environment noise level as measured at the air is 92dBA; the NRR is 22 Decibles(dB); then the level of noise enter to your ear is approximately equal to 70dbA. These headphones do protect your kids’ hearing
- ONE MORE THING: Safety earmuffs which block all/most sound might be dangerous to your kids. If your kids wear that kind of earmuffs, please ensure that they are supervised. Please be extra careful outdoors, or in any situations where the inbaility to hear all sounds might present a safety risks
- 【Soft & Comfortable】: Dr.meter kids Earmuffs are made of high density sponge on the inside and covered with premium PU leather on the outside for comfy, cozy wearing no mater how long you put them on.
- 【Adjustable Headband】: The adjustable headband makes it possible to cover any head size by just pulling or retracting the headband. Plus, these lightweight earmuffs comes with 360° swivel ear cup for convenient storage.
- 【Mighty Noise Reduction】: Armed with rugged ABS shell and thickened noise reduction sponge, these earmuffs provide an NRR of 27 dB, effectively reduce noise and shelter kids’ hearing from damage.
- 【Authorized Certification】: Double certification, double your peace of mind! Dr.meter Earmuffs meet both ANSI S3.19 standards and CE EN 352.1 European standards, offering you the perfect and quality hearing protection.
- 【Various Occasions Available】: Fancy for a gorgeous firework show, football match or Monster Jam but step back at the thought of potential hearing impairment to the kids? Dr.meter is here to help! Just put on the earmuffs and head right out for any adventures and events with ease.
For parents on a tight budget, there are plenty of good choices under $20. Some of these choices include getting ear protection from a cheaper store like Walmart or Target. Walgreens even sells some silicon children’s earplugs for less than $5! You can even find earmuffs at secondhand stores for children if a parent is willing to sanitize them.
If all else fails, you can use earphones that I would use for listening to music to help block out noise, so the child isn’t overwhelmed. This method can replace overstimulating situations with controlled music. You can avoid paying for two different things if you already have headphones.
Best Overall Picks
My favorite brand of ear protection is called Loops. Loops are earplugs made out of comfortable silicon that comes in various colors and sizes. The best part about Loops is that they are made to help reduce noise but not completely block it out.
- NOISE REDUCTION – Loop Experience Plus are high-fidelity, noise reducing earplugs that filter more or less noise on demand, thanks to a silicone filter (Loop Mute). They have a noise reduction rating (SNR) of 18 or 23 decibels, NRR of 7 and come in 4 stylish colors.
- STYLISH COMFORT – These high-fidelity earplugs come in 4 different sizes, so you can always find the perfect fit. The iconic round shape of Loop Experience Plus sits perfectly in your ears, making it a fashionable accessory that protects your hearing. On top of that, the additional Mute filter (-5 dB) is available in 2 colors, black and white, to further personalize your earplugs.
- MULTI-PURPOSE – Loop Experience Plus are high-fidelity earplugs that preserve sound quality but avoid noise pollution. They protect your hearing during concerts, festivals or while making music. They are loved by audiophiles and extremely suitable for people who are easily triggered by noise (noise sensitivity, musicians, parents and more).
- EASY TO USE – These earplugs are easy to insert and when you wear them correctly, they don’t stick out of your ears. They come in 4 sizes (XS – L), if your ears hurt, it is best to take a smaller size. If the earplugs do not reduce sound sufficiently or fall out, it is best to try on a size larger.
- IN THE BOX – In our eco-friendly packaging, there is 1 set of Loop Experience Plus earplugs, 4 sizes of soft silicone ear tips (XS-L), 3 sizes of foam ear tips (S-L), 2 sets of Loop Mute filters and 1 handy carry case. Not only do our earplugs have a stylish metal look, they are also durable and long lasting.
You can find different models with live events, conversations, and noise reduction in mind. They have a loop on the outer end that allows the user to place them in the ear safely and easily. They cost between $25-$45, depending on the model.
Other good options include high-fidelity earplugs. High-fidelity earplugs are earplugs that reduce the volume of the noise and do not muffle it. These are perfect for concerts and other live events.
- 【Preserve High Fidelity Audio】 Hearprotek Music ear plugs do an effective job of bringing down the overall volume, blocking background noises at a comfortable level while preserving the sound clarity and sharpness. You won’t experience any muffling with these plugs as you would foam-based ones and you will be able to hear different sound frequencies and talk to people without having to worry of muffling.
- 【20db Noise Reduction】 Comes with 2 sets of 20db ear plugs in different sizes (small & standard), cutting up an impressive 20db’s of sound volume which is a pretty good amount for a concert or band rehearsal, and you can always have your spare plug in case any plugs are fallen out unfortunately or missing.
- 【Designed For Comfort】 Made of high quality silicone material that provides comfort from prolonged usage. If you have small ear canals, the small size of ear plugs are your best choice, they are designed to have an ergonomic curved body with two flange tip that follows the shape of your ear canal, which provides a snag and comfortable fit.
- 【Discrete & Portable】Low-profile design with translucent or frosted plug shells which are inconspicuous and a less noticeable appearance on stage, at the concert, at the club or in the office. Include a soft silicone detachable cord and come in a durable aluminum case with carabiner which clips easily to belts and bags to carry wherever you go, this way, there’s no need to worry about losing your plugs.
- 【Warm tips】The earplugs will not block all the noise completely, but they will preserve the quality of the music and make the volume within a safer listening level. So they’re not recommended for sleeping, hunting, shooting, motorcycling etc.
- FIRST CLASS HEARING PROTECTION – Our High Fidelity Earplugs protect your ears from harmful noise levels while still allowing you to clearly hear your surroundings. Get up to 21 dB of noise reduction (NRR 16 dB) so that you can do more of what you love while minimizing the risk of noise induced hearing loss, tinnitus, and anxiety.
- PRISTINE SOUND QUALITY – Our innovative attenuation filters allow you to hear the world around you, just at a lower volume. Reduces noise evenly to maintain the full spectrum of sound while protecting hearing. Great for toning down noise levels in loud environments to reduce anxiety and for safely listening to live music with clarity.
- USE EARGASM ANYWHERE – Fantastic ear plugs for concerts, noise sensitivity, tinnitus relief, motorcycles, musicians, drummers, noise cancelling, noise reduction, sporting events, sleeping and so many other uses!
- PERFECT FIT GUARANTEE – Two pairs of different sized earplug shells made from hypoallergenic silicone are included with every unit. Fits most normal to large ear sizes. Individuals with smaller ear canals may want to consider our Smaller Ears Earplugs model. Contact Eargasm support with any fit issues and we’ll be sure to make things right!
- WATERPROOF ALUMINUM CASE – Never be without your earplugs again by using the included sturdy metal case with a waterproof rubber seal. Our compact case allows for safe and easy storage on your keychain, carabiner, backpack, or in your pocket.
- ADVANCED FILTER TECHNOLOGY reduces noise (up to 24dB,NRR)evenly to maintain the full spectrum of sound while protecting hearing. Mumba concert earplugs deliver crisp, clear sound at a safe volume. Won’t muffle music or voices as foam plugs do. Suitable for Concerts, Musicians, Drummer, Percussion, DJs
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT: The soft, hypoallergenic reusable earplugs for concerts keep you comfortable whether you’re making music or dancing to it. These are absolutely safe for your ears and health. Hearing protection ear plugs are incredibly lightweight, soft and comfortable to wear.
- INVISIBLE: Mumba high fidelity ear plugs seems to disappear in your ear when using, just like custom molded ear plugs. The professional ear plugs are small and low profile, making them discreet noise reducers
- GET THE PERFECT FIT with a pair of standard-sized earplugs(with filters inside) and a pair of small-sized shells. Fits most normal to large ear sizes. Easy removal with a tug on the elongated pull tab. “
- ALWAYS HAVE THE EARPLUGS WITH YOU: The musicians ear plugs come with an aluminum container and a carabiner that you can hang it on your keychain and carry it around with you wherever you go. You never know when a pair of protective ear plugs may come in handy!
Earmuffs are also a smart option because they are easy for children to use and harder for them to lose. The Alpine Muffy Noise Cancelling headphones are highly rated and come in various colors.
Children with ear protection at concerts are more likely to enjoy the experience than those without.
Your Free eBook is Waiting
Share your email below to receive an eBook with $100,000 worth of information that will kick start your music career.