If you’ve ever wanted the sound of your distortion to be a lot crisper and rounder, then you might be interested in buying the Klon pedal. This pedal was designed in the late 90s/early 00s and gave your guitar tone a bit of definition.
Such was the success of this pedal that there were a few others made, often referred to as clones of the original Klon. These pedals offer the durability and functionality of the original, except with a few enhancements.
If you want to shape the tone of your guitar, then you’ll definitely be interested in this model. These guitar pedals give you superb control over the mid-tones of your axe. This is great if you really want that sharp sound to stand out. You can also get pedals that help you manipulate the bass and the treble.
If you are a gain fan, then you’ll certainly want to buy one of these pedals. This will help you really bring that sharpness out that will help you get much clearer notes, even when you are using your distortion pedal. This makes your notes really stand out, especially when you are playing live and clarity is a must.
We have a list of some of the best Klon Clones you can currently find. We’ve analyzed everything in terms of reliability, ease of use, and price.
Best Klon Clones
- Same magic sounding buffer with all of the clarity, punch, and detailed breakup of the original Tumnus
- Easily accessible true bypass performance for uncolored tonal purity at the flip of the side mounted switch
- A classic treble control like the original perfects the pedal’s higher frequencies
- Active bass and mid controls boost or cut the desired frequencies
- Normal / Hot switch goes from standard Tumnus gain to higher gain
Our first pedal is surely one of the coolest that we’ve seen so far. It comes with a solid set of pedals and outstanding features that will give you everything for a solid tone.
If you are looking for a luxury pedal that will give you clarity through even the hardest distortion, this is the one for you – introducing the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe Overdrive & Boost Guitar Effects Pedal.
It comes with a three-band range which will give you a lot more flexibility with the tone of your guitar. For more bass drive and treble, then this is also a great pedal to have. You can also have impressive control over the mid-tones of your guitar. This is great if you are aiming for a cleaner sound.
- This will give you a great core sound, giving you plenty of flexibility.
- The ability to cover a wide range of sounds.
- You have great control over the bypass feature of your pedal. With just one switch, you can activate all of your presets.
- This will give your sound plenty of bump. This is amazing if you are looking for an EQ level that works with the music that youplaying.
- There are a lot of dials and controls on this pedal. This might make it very difficult for a beginner to get to grips with.
Next up, we have a much simpler pedal that will definitely help beginners to get their sound just right. All you require are three dials to begin with, giving you great control over your tones, bass, treble, and mid-tones. If you want to dive up your gain, this is also a great pedal to have – introducing the Mosky Golden Horse Guitar Effect Pedal.
It is an extremely compact pedal, you might even missthis one in your gear bag. You can be sure that you’ll have everything you’ll need for a solid performance. It comes with germanium diodes that will really boost the sound and round out the mid-tones.
- One of the most portable pedals that you can get on the market. This is great if you have a lot of pedals and want to keep the weight down to a minimum.
- This comes with a great bypass function. All you have to do is flick and switch, and your effects will come into action.
- It will not cut into your budget too much and it is a great easy addition to your pedal board.
- Comes with really complex internal mechanics. You won’t have to worry about it cutting out or letting you down when playing live.
- This might be a little too basic for expert guitar players. If you want to control more than just the bass and the treble, you should probably invest in something more.
- A recreation of an iconic circuit matching all of the wonderful qualities of the original
- A great clean boost that goes all the way to a chimey classic organic gain
- Can be used as just a clean boost by turning the gain all the way down
- Introduce gain to attenuate the clean signal until you find the magical blend in between
- Can be powered by a 9V battery; Battery is not included
Next up, we have a mass-produced pedal that still delivers an amazing sound. It comes with some of the best effects that we have heard on the market. Many pro players use this, which is a testament to its quality and the ability for it to play plenty of styles – introducing the J. Rockett Audio Designs Tour Series Archer Overdrive and Boost Guitar Effects Pedal.
This is a touring model, so it is simply the best pedal to have if you want to play live. It is important that if you are going to be using your pedal for gigging that you have the right level of durability. This one will cover you.
- Has a remarkable sound, with a few simple dials that you can use to tailor your sound.
- A great pedal for beginners. It gives you everything you need for a dynamic sound with a great boost on the treble and the bass.
- If you want a reliable bypass, then this is another great unit to have. It will activate in a very reliable manner, resulting in a great live pedal.
- If you want something for playing on the live circuit, then this pedal would be a great starting point. Once you have got to grips with the basics, you can graduate up to the next level.
- This might not be the cheapest option available for this type of pedal. We would certainly shop around if you are looking to save money.
- Brings out the best of your Guitar and amp sound
- Diverse range of tones, from boosting to overdrive
- Based on a rare & elusive overdrive circuit
- Blends in clean signal to maintain your guitar’s personality
- Clear & transparent performance
This next pedal will certainly turn a few heads. It comes in a glowing blue color will turn a few heads. This comes with a silicone interior will give you a reliable connection that won’t burn out too quickly. For reliability and solidity, this is an ideal pedal – introducing the MXR Sugar Drive Guitar Effects Pedal.
This comes at a great price, so you won’t have to worry about it eating too much into your savings. This is one of the best pedals that you can get for a live setting, coming with easy-to-use dials and a bypass switch that is reliable. If you want a quality construction, then this is the pedal for you.
- Has a great price, so you won’t have to worry about it causing you too much grief in your savings.
- Gives your guitar a warm and smooth tone. This is great if you pair it up with your distortion pedal so that you can pick out those notes.
- A compact pedal which transports easily
- This pedal is a great model for beginners. It comes with only a few dials that you can be sure won’t cause you too much grief.
- It is not the cheapest pedal in the world and considering the few features that it has.
No products found.
This final pedal comes with a great enclosure will weather all moisture and affects. The company makes it with germanium diodes that deliver sound that won’t cut out. It won’t give you any issues, even when you are hurling yourself around the stage.
This is a great pedal for an active live player – introducing the Electro-Harmonix SoulFood Distortion/Fuzz/overdrive pedal.
If you want a mid-range pedal with a powerful performance, use this pedal. It has a very stylish and eye-catching vintage look, which will definitely appeal to fans of the old-school look. It also has a very reliable output.
- A very affordable pedal great for anyone looking to lighten the load on their wallets.
- This is a very durable pedal, so you’ll have everything that you need for a solid performance on the stage.
- This is a very easy-to-use pedal. If you are a completely new guitarist, then this one is a great place to start.
- Comes with wonderful compression and EQ balance. If you want the mid-tones of your guitar to pop, then this is a good pedal.
- This might not have the greatest internal components, with some users complaining of cutting out during live performances.
When you are shopping for a pedal, not just the Klon Clones, then there will be a few things that you are simply desperate to find. You’ll need a pedal that functions well and is durable, especially if you are playing live regularly.
Here are a few things to consider:
How Easy Is It To Use?
This will all depend on whether you are a professional player or new. If you are a pro, then you’ll probably want to get something that comes with a lot of dials.
If you are new to the field, stick with simplicity. Don’t spend too much money on something you will not use.
How Durable Is Your Pedal?
If you play live a lot, your pedal to be subjected to a lot more stress than just using at home or in the studio. So if you want your pedal to resist repeated bumps and knocks, check the casing.
Most of these guitar pedals are going to be completely sealed except for the input and output sockets. This will be to keep out moisture which can often accumulate on stage and interfere with the functioning of the delicate internal components.
How Affordable Is Your Pedal?
If you are a new player, then having a pedal that you can afford will be very important. This is because you might have already spent money on a new guitar. You won’t want to throw away another $100 on a pedal that you will not be sure that you can use all the time.
We would recommend getting a cheaper pedal with some more basic features first. This will help you get to grips with what the pedal does and how to get the right tones from it. Make sure that you have a decent bypass function, as this will be crucial for you, especially if you are using it on stage.
Are You Using It For Live Or Recording?
This is a trick question, as ideally, these pedals are built for both. However, how much you’re going to beat up your pedal will certainly factor into which one you’re going to buy. If you get one with a stronger casing, then this will be better for playing live, where there is a greater chance of accidents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Klon Clones Good Pedals?
Yes, these pedals are very good, especially if you value a very transparent tone with your distortion effect turned on. This is great for anyone who likes the aggression that comes with distortion but wants that clean sound that will enable you to pick out all the notes.
They are also very reliable pedals and will help you get the right tones for your clean guitar sounds. If you like to play acoustic, then we would recommend hooking it up to one of these pedals and fiddling around with the mid-tones until you get the sound that you want.
Are Klon Clones Expensive?
This will really depend on what model you’re going to be buying. If you are going to be picking up a basic pedal with only a few dials, then you’ll probably spend less than $100. However, if you are going to want as much control as possible over your bass and other elements, then you could be expected to exceed this amount.
If you are a fan of playing live, then this pedal will help you to pick out some of the finer notes. You won’t find other pedals that really serve the same function as a Klon Clone. This also makes a pretty effective substitute for a Klon original, with some models seeking to emulate it as closely as possible.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best Klon Clones you can currently find on the market has helped you to decide which one you’ll want for your needs. If you are looking for a decent pedal that will help you boost your mid-tones and even help shape your bass and treble sounds, then this is a reliable and affordable pedal to start out with.